EmulatorGUI is NOT connecting to emulator

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
rwhite7851

Re: EmulatorGUI is NOT connecting to emulator

Post by rwhite7851 »

I get exactly the same error screen when trying to update the firmware as MAWMN: Unable to switch emulator into bootloader mode.

The difference is that I had the adapter working fine for months. Then I tried to do a firmware upgrade and bam I got this error and can't use the emulator anymore. So I don't believe this problem is a hardware fault but a firmware fault.

Please let us know how to fix this.
MAWMN

Post by MAWMN »

Hello,

thanks for your reply rwhite7851, but I think your problem could be a different one..

After having waited for 2 months on a reply from Stanley, and / or Customer Service from Freematics I finaly took things in my own hands because of the very POOR customer support of the store, NO replies at all nevertheless at least 4 attempts from my side of getting the "Dead on Arival" product replaced by means of an RMA request of their website.

Because I am an electronics technician myself I finaly opened the product and...

This is what I found out about the product :
1 It was very clearly to be seen on the rinkles of the sticker, where the srews are beneath, that the product has been opened before I received it.
2 Because there was no Voltage output on the external board connecter anymore (No 12 Volts, No 5 Volts and No 3.3 Vols) obviously someone probably has been trying to connect something to this connector. And likely something went wrong..
3 After finaly opening the box myself, on the board the 5 volts regulator as well as the 3.3 volt regulator were both blown out.
4 After removing them, and trying to supply both voltages from an external source also the microprosessor still was having a short.
5 I stopped trying to repair the board because succes was near zero..
6 I did have a close look at the components used and by investigating the track beteen them, and there is only one conclusion I can give...
It is a very poorly designed product, with very little protection on it, and not very likely to be working for a long period of time in a real development environment with other hardware being connected to it.

Concerning the Firmware and Software GUI I can not make any comment because I was not able to get to this point at all..

All in One, I do not recommend this product, and surely not this company (Freematics)

M.A.W.M. Nijland (Netherlands)

a very unsatisfied customer..

December 16, 2014
evinealias

Post by evinealias »

@rwhite 7851
I have got the exact same problem as u have. There is a firmware issue with this device.
Did u find any solution for it??
rwhite7851

Post by rwhite7851 »

@evinealias

No solution yet. The emulator won't connect at all. I suspect the firmware upgrade I did just before this went wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Damn, because it was working fine before that.

Freematics support should be telling us what to do. But, like MAWMN, I am very disappointed in Freematics support - there's basically none. I would never recommend this company or product. If I don't get a fix soon, I'm going to take to the OBD2 blogs and boards to spread the word.

One thing I did notice that is consistent with MAWMN's claim of a hardware issue is that there used to be a light viable in the serial port connector. The light is not there anymore after the firmware upgrade I suspect the upgrade did something to kill it - that's why MAWMN can't detect voltage in the serial port.
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

You mean the supplied power adapter does not work?
rwhite7851

Post by rwhite7851 »

The power adapter is working - when I plug in the ELM327 dongle, it has power.

The OBD2 emulator went dead after the firmware update was installed. I can't connect to the emulator through USB and UI software. It was working fine before the firmware update.

How can I fix this? Is it under warranty?
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

You can send back the device for recovery.
rwhite7851

Post by rwhite7851 »

Thanks. Can I get an exchange?