OBD2 onto sprint car (no electronics at all)

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
racer014

OBD2 onto sprint car (no electronics at all)

Post by racer014 »

Hi, So after a while of messing around with lap timers, I've decided to put OBD2 onto my limited sprint car (like a 305 racesaver, carby restricted v8)
So I understand that it has no ECM, no sensor mounts, however I'm only after an RPM, Steering angle and throttle position to work with Harrys lap timer with over-lay.

My ideas so far from what I can find online, I can use a Freematics OBD-II emulator and a Arduino board of some sort, (I can mount 0-5V rotary sensors on the throttle shaft and the steering column, for the RPM I have a coil - ve pickup point or a inductive pickup sensor on my flywheel another thing, we are running electric start sprint cars)

I would use a Bluetooth adapter to the IOS compatible phone and Wi-Fi cameras with a Bluetooth GPS sensor on the wing for some speed an G force

My other option is to graft an ECM off an OBD2 compliant car and use the original TPS, tach signal and forget the steering position sensor (off not fitted to most cars) this would allow me to use a MAP sensor for load based information as well.
Anyway if anyone has some advice or experience with this type of setup to get an OBD 2 port onto my very (electronically at least) basic race car, that would be fantastic!

Regards
Dan
stanley
Site Admin

Re: OBD2 onto sprint car (no electronics at all)

Post by stanley »

As long as you can retrive your needed data (rpm throttle etc) with Arduino, you can push the data to the emulator with AT command.